One of my most commonly asked questions is HOW I stay motivated to show up to my mat every day. The short answer is, I don't always. Some days the last thing I want to do is unroll my mat and flow. Whatever season I'm in, I choose to honour my body and where it's at. On those days where I really don't want to show up, sometimes my yoga practice looks like 5 minutes of breath work and a short meditation. The key is accepting where you're at and listening to your body each and every day. Knowing when to push yourself, and when to scale things back. Being mindful, and honouring each and every season.
These are some tips that have helped me with motivation to show up on those days that are a bit harder then others:
1. Keeping your mat UNROLLED. It sounds simple, but it helps SO much. It serves as a gentle reminder to take time for yourself, even on the busiest of days.
2. Setting up a space you want to practice in. It can be as simple as lighting a candle, incense, or a salt lamp. Setting up a space where you feel safe to explore your own personal practice.
3. Setting goals for your practice. Either physical or mental. Big or small. Set a goal for yourself that day. Perhaps you're working on nailing your first crow pose, or perhaps your goal is to find 5 things you're grateful for that day.
4. For me, music is medicine. Having an epic playlist has helped with my motivation a TON. Whenever I'm feeling a lack of motivation, I put on my favourite songs and can't help but move, dance, and sing, and flow.
5. Releasing the pressure of it all and shifting my perspective. Reminding myself that my practice isn't something I HAVE to do, but something I WANT to do. Stop being so dang hard on yourself.